Why not Tri something new
If you’re training towards your first triathlon or open water challenge, Better has a brilliant range of facilities, classes and a membership to support you every step of the way.
What is a Triathlon?
A triathlon is a multiple-stage competition involving the completion of three continuous and sequential endurance disciplines. Although there are variations of a triathlon, swimming, cycling and running are the most popular. Triathletes race against the clock and compete for the fastest overall course completion time, including timed "transitions" between the three individual swim, cycle, and run components of the race.
WHAT ARE THE TRIATHLON DISTANCES?
The distance of the race and the components within them will vary depending on the race venue and type of triathlon event. These range from:
- Sprint-distance triathlon – this is often the best option for new triathletes. A typical sprint distance event has a 400 meters of swimming, 12 to 15 miles of cycling and a 3.1 mile run
- Olympic distance triathlon – this event typically consists of 1.5km of swimming, a 56 mile cycle and 13.1 miles of running
- Ironman distance triathlon or “70.3" triathlon – this endurance event consists of 2.4-miles of swimming, a 112-mile bike ride followed by a 26.2-mile run
What are the benefits?
There are so many reasons to take part in a Triathlon – and some of them might surprise you. You’re guaranteed a full-body workout, toning your legs through running and cycling, and your arms and upper body through swimming. All of which means you’ll get a leaner, more muscular physique.
You’ll also find that taking part in a Triathlon boosts your self-confidence and mental wellbeing. As you overcome obstacles and surprise yourself with what your body can do, you’ll start to feel better inside, too.
Regular exercise, like Triathlons, can also lower your blood pressure, help to prevent cancer and heart disease, as well as reducing your risk of osteoporosis and diabetes. It’s a great way to lose weight – you can burn as many as 900 calories an hour during a triathlon.
How can Better help?
Better operates a wide variety of facilities and activities, designed to help you fine tune your technique, speed, fitness and endurance.
- Aquatic group fitness classes in our swimming pools across the UK*
- A dedicated open water swimming facility at Stoke Newington West Reservoir
- Over 100 indoor pools and 7 outdoor heated pools
- Group cycle fitness classes in a number of Better leisure centres, as well as state-of-the-art exercise bikes in all our gyms
- Athletics tracks across the country
We also offers a membership that’s designed especially for triathletes. Benefits of the Triathlon membership include unlimited access to our swimming pools at Better leisure centre across the UK, with over 90 pool including 7 outdoor lidos and Stoke Newington West Reservoir*. Plus inclusive access to group cycle fitness classes at all Better centres, use of all athletics tracks operated by Better and advance online and telephone booking, up to seven days ahead
You’ll also enjoy discounts on a wide range of other activities, including our saunas and Jacuzzis – perfect for relaxing those tired muscles as you work towards your next race.