Since becoming the official health and fitness partner for Sport Relief 2016, we have announced some of the ways we will help customers to walk, run, swim and cycle while fundraising £500,000 for Sport Relief.
Our staff and customers have been putting their heads together to devise a series of spectacular sporting events that will combine efforts to pool funds under #Teambetter and help those who are training for the Sainsbury’s Sport Relief Games, taking place Friday 18th - Sunday 20th March.
10,000 Better staff in leisure centres, gyms, pool, libraries and children’s centres will capture the energy, ideas, sporting talent and enthusiasm of users during an estimated 3 million customer visits to meet the fundraising target through a variety of sporting challenges.
Steve Ward, Better Sport Relief Project Lead:
“We’ve set ourselves an ambitious fundraising target. But with #Teambetter’s strong partnership with customers we think we can smash it.
“We’ll help customers reach their fitness goals while helping Sport Relief transform people’s lives at home in the UK and across the world’s poorest communities.”
Better Leisure centres will offer existing members and non-members some first class venues for their training challenges. Local facilities include Brixton Recreation Centre, Clapham Leisure Centre, Ferndale Community Sports Centre, Flaxman Sports Centre, Kennington Park Sports Facilities, Lambeth Park Sports Facilities, Streatham Ice and Leisure Centre and West Norwood Health and Leisure Centre along with over 100 other sports and leisure facilities across the country.
Some of the fundraising events include:
- 1st March – ‘North v South Exercise Bike Ride’ – sponsored fundraisers at either end of the country are invited to take part in a 24 hour ‘Bike Off’.
- 3rd March – Mass Fitness Class 7:00pm – 8:00pm at 100 Better centres. Up to 10,000 are expected to take part.
- 12th March – National A-thon Day. Bounce-a-thon, Cycle-a-thon, Dance-a-thon and all-day-relays to take place across Better leisure centres.
- Over 200 Better leisure centres across the country hosting locally run fundraising events and challenges during January, February and March. Speak to staff at your local leisure centre for more information.
How you can get involved
There are many ways you’ll be able to get involved in helping us do better together for Sport Relief. Here are just a few:
- Take part in one of the Sport Relief fundraising events happening at your local Better leisure centre, and raise money with Team Better.
- Donate what you can in centre via our collection buckets or text your donation to 70005.
- Use your Better membership to train in one of our special Sport Relief sessions, getting you prepared to take part in an official Sainsbury’s Sport Relief Games event, either locally or at the flagship Games events at Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park or Belfast, Cardiff, Glasgow, Norwich and Sheffield over the Sport Relief weekend from Friday 18th to Sunday 20th March 2016.
Up to half a million customers and staff at its pools, trampoline parks, leisure centres, spas, libraries, children’s centres and playgrounds will be invited to play their part in the fundraising challenges and help to make Sport Relief 2016 the best yet.
Being part of one of the UK’s largest fundraising campaigns will help Better leisure centres, sports halls and pools reach out to the community at grass roots level and encourage more people to take up exercise in the run up to, during and beyond the Sainsbury’s Sport Relief Games.
Comic Relief Chief Executive Officer, Kevin Cahill, said: “We’re really excited to have GLL on board as official health and fitness partner for Sport Relief 2016. The partnership with GLL is a very natural fit, with the organisation helping us encourage the nation to get together to get active, raise cash and change lives. The team at GLL, along with all our partners, are helping to make this year the biggest and best Sport Relief yet, with more ways than ever for everyone to take part and feel proud.”
Register your interest today to take part in upcoming events.