Local authorities often pay for a local Falls Prevention service for local residents. Initially managed by an NHS Falls Prevention Team, the service provides a vital pathway for those who have experienced a single recent fall or who have a history of multiple falls.
The service includes a highly skilled multifactorial team of advisers who are able to offer a range of information and expert advice for service users, their carers and families. Service users will usually receive advice, an in-depth assessment, and if suitable they will be offered the Better Balance exercise programme. The course is delivered in a variety of settings, including Better Leisure Centres and with instruction from highly trained postural stability instructors. Exercises are structured and progressed over a period of weeks and months (typically 36 weeks). The programme is offered in 2 key stages:
This introductory stage is normally funded and offered without charge by the Falls Prevention Team of the NHS. These first 12 weeks may include an educational component and refreshments as well as exercise.
A further 24 weeks, of exercise only which aims to build on and consolidate the health gains and improvements attained during the initial 12 weeks. This 2nd level may include members of the community who have not attended level 1 but have been assessed as appropriate for Level 2.
Healthwise - Better Balance Outcomes:
- Improvements in health and wellbeing and quality of life for those accessing the 24-week follow-on intervention.
- Significant decrease in number of falls, and a reduction in long lays and A&E hospital admissions
- Positive physiological and psychological changes in mobility and well-being for those who complete the scheme.
- Successful engagement and monitoring with opportunities to refer back to the Falls and Bone Health Service if and when required
- Positive feedback from patients regarding the benefits of the programme
- Overall improvements to health
- Increased confidence and continued independence
- Opportunities for social engagement
Better Balance at level 2 from Healthwise helps with rehabilitation after an unfortunate fall and or aims to improve balance and strength preventing further falls.