Better have a commitment to get local people into work. Across Islington we have a range of opportunities; Ice rink assistant, customer service advisor (CSA), recreation assistant, Coffee Corner trainee, Extreme assistant, tennis assistant and more. To view our live roles click the hyperlink.
For those who do not feel they have the right experience or qualifications for paid employment we can help. We can offer a 12 week traineeship (helps you learn job skills and get an NPLQ) and a year long paid apprenticeship (sets you up for a full time role plus qualifications).
We attend and put on events for young people (16-24) that are Not in Employment Education or Training (NEETs). We have links with the Islington Council iWork team, they can assist if a career in leisure is not for you. We have hosted events with Inspire who also specialise in helping young people find work and ensuring work experience placements are high quality. To enquire about work experience at a Better centre contact WeIslington@GLL.ORG
On Wednesday 3rd of October Sobell Leisure Centre hosted an event promoting our opportunities and in particular pushing our traineeship as it is ideal for those who would prefer a more direct route to work than through a traditional college.
An additional route to employment may be through our unique volunteer portal where you can apply for these positions:
- Assisting with the delivery of a weekly older adults sports session (Better Get Together session)
- Assisting with outreach work to engage women in physical activity and sport (This Girl Can Islington project)
- Assisting with the delivery of a weekly racket sports session for disabled people
- Leading centre tours in Spanish
- Leading centre tours in Turkish
- Leading centre tours in Somali