This month Better Leisure Centres are supporting the health promotion of ‘No Smoking Day’.
The 'There's Never Been a Better Time To Quit' campaign supports getting as many people as possible to stop or reduce the amount they are smoking.
The benefits of quitting are huge and include:
- Your sense of taste will return and you will enjoy the taste of food more.
- Your breathing and general fitness will improve.
- The appearance of your skin and teeth will improve.
- Your fertility levels will improve, along with your chances of having a healthy pregnancy and baby.
- You’ll experience less stress and lower anxiety.
As well as this, smoking affects those around you massively too. More than 80% of second-hand smoke is invisible and odourless, so no matter how careful you think you’re being, your friends and family still breathe in harmful poisons. This puts them at risk of illnesses including cancer, heart disease and lung disease. By quitting and not exposing them to second-hand smoke, you will protect the health of those around you.
Smoking is also a very expensive habit and you might be surprised at how it all adds up. On average, most people who quit save around £135 each month – That’s over £1600 a year going up in smoke!
The campaign offers tips and advice on how you can cut down which can be found on their website: Never Been a Better Time to Quit Campaign