Clapham Leisure Centre is hosting a training course for STA Award in Teaching Swimming.
The four day course, 17th - 21st September 2018, teaches the basic principles for becoming a swimming teacher helping to start your career as a swimming teacher. Further details below.
- Be 16 years of age or older
- Hold current membership of STA
The STA AWARD qualification is an entry level course that looks at the fundamentals of swim teaching focusing on being able to deliver to Stages 1-4 (Non-Swimmers, Beginner & Improvers). Individuals will learn how to teach Front Crawl, Backstroke, Breaststroke & Fly leg kick as well as the Essential Swimming Skills. Individuals will be able to deliver to groups of up to 8 pupils for Stages 1-4.
Course Content & Structure
– Safeguarding Children, Young People and Vulnerable Adults
– Planning , Delivering , Assessing and Evaluating Swimming Lessons
– Understand a Swimming Teacher’s Role
– Understanding the Health and Safety Requirements for an Aquatics Environment
– Understanding the Scientific and Learning Theories Relevant to Swimming Teaching
The STA Award in Teaching Swimming is tutor assessed through the completion of Worksheets, Schemes of work , lesson plans , lesson evaluation forms and practical teaching.In addition to this , there is an external assessment of a 30-minute practical lesson on the final day of the course.