Boston Library has joined forces with The Reading Agency to encourage children to get hooked on books by taking part in the annual Summer Reading Challenge.
In celebration of the 80th anniversary of the Beano, this years’ theme is Mischief Makers. Children can help Dennis, Gnasher and friends explore Beanotown to find the mysterious buried treasure with tons of fun along the way.
The challenge is to read six books during the summer holidays and children of all ages are invited to join.
To assist and encourage your children throughout their journey, the team at Boston Library have been busy planning a host of mischievous activities. Please see our events schedule below.
REGULAR WEEKLY EVENTS
- Every Tuesday Rhyme Time 10.00am - 11.00am
- Every Friday Story Time 10.30am - 11.00am
SPECIAL EVENTS & ACTIVITIES
- Summer Reading Challenge Launch Saturday 14th July 9.30am - 3.30pm
- Make a Dennis Money Box Saturday 14th July 10.30 -12.00pm
- Coding Club Every Wednesday 18th July – 22nd August 2.00pm – 3.00pm & 3.00pm – 4.00pm. Booking is essential as places are strictly limited.
- Prank School Tuesday 31st July 2.00pm – 4.00pm
- Mischief Makers Afternoon Thursday 9th August 2.00pm – 4.00pm
- Mask Making Thursday 16th August 2.00pm – 4.00pm
All events are free, drop in events unless otherwise stated.
Alison Wade, Library Manager at Boston Library for GLL said:
“We’re really excited about this year’s Summer Reading Challenge theme; contrary to popular belief mischief is something we’re very good at in libraries! The Beano is full of amazing characters and escapades, all of which have really inspired the team in their planning of our events.
The Summer Reading Challenge is a great way to help get children hooked on reading and develop a life long love of books. It’s been proved to help prevent the trend for children’s reading skills to dip over the holidays by supporting their learning in a fun way. It’s free entertainment too, so what’s not to love?”
To find out more pop into the library and ask a member of staff or email the team on email@example.com
The Summer Reading Challenge starts on Saturday 14th July and ends on Saturday 8th September.
WHATS IT ALL ABOUT:
- For Children aged 4 – 11 years
- Go to any library & register for FREE
- Borrow a book! Anything you like
- Follow the challenge – read six books in six weeks
- Receive rewards for the books you read
- All events/activities are FUN & FREE
- Children under the age of 8 must be accompanied by an adult at all times
- Events/activities may be subject to last minute change FOR MORE INFORMATION VISIT: