Market Rasen Library has joined forces with The Reading Agency to encourage children to get hooked on books by taking part in the annual Summer Reading Challenge.
Co-ordinated by The Reading Agency, the Summer Reading Challenge is the UK’s biggest library-run reading event and, each year, thousands of children countrywide take part. The Reading Agency and Lincolnshire Libraries are excited to be celebrating the 50th anniversary of the first moon landing to bring you the Space Chase summer Reading Challenge 2019.
The mission is to read six books during the school holidays. Children of all ages are invited to take part and they can read anything they like – fact books, stories, joke books or picture books. There are no rules!
Every child joining the challenge will receive a membership pack and, on completion, a special certificate. The children will be introduced to the Rockets, a futuristic family living in space. They are on the trail of Aliens! The Aliens are jumping from galaxy to galaxy helping themselves to whatever they like. Now books have started to disappear from the Moon Library and the Rockets are on the case. The children will help the Rockets solve clues, dodge black holes and shooting stars collect stickers and have lots of fun and adventures along the way. Let the Space Chase begin!
The team at Market Rasen Library have been busy planning a host of space-related activities, listed below, to encourage children to join up, take part and have fun this summer in the library.
REGULAR WEEKLY EVENTS
- Storytime every Tuesday 2.15pm-2.45pm
- Lego Club every Friday from 3.30pm-5.30pm
- Coding Club, Wednesday mornings from 11.00am-12.30pm on the 24th and 31st of July, and the 7th and 14th of August. Places are limited, booking essential.
SPECIAL EVENTS & ACTIVITIES
- Launch Day, sign up for the challenge and book your place at our weekly activities from this date onwards – Saturday July 13th 10.00am-1.00pm
- Space Exploration, Build a Lego mars rover and make your own spaceship – Wednesday 24th July 2.00pm-3.30pm
- Alien invasion, Formulate extra terrestrial bath bombs and invent your own alien – Wednesday 31st of July 2.00pm-3.30pm
- Star Gazing, Create a planet Mobile and design a constellation – Wednesday 7th of August 2.00pm-3.30pm
- Man on the Moon, Recreate the moon landing using lego animation and decorate a moon biscuit – Wednesday 14th August 2.00pm-3.30pm
- Space Monsters, Design monsters from outer space and code a space invaders game – Wednesday 21st of August 2.00pm-3.30pm
- Blast off! Build a rocket to send into space and make a decorative suncatcher – Wednesday 28th August 2.00pm-3.30pm
- Celebration event, celebrate completing the summer reading challenge, receive a certificate and play planet piñata! Friday 20th September 4.00pm-5.30pm
Georgina Carr, Library Manager at Market Rasen Library for GLL said:
“We’re on the countdown for the take off of this year’s Summer Reading Challenge. The theme ‘Space Chase’ coincides with the 50th anniversary of the moon landing. The characters in the Summer Reading Challenge this year are great fun, come and meet Nana Whiz and the crew of the alien’s spaceship. Library teams have planned some great spacy crafts and events to inspire children to participate in this Space Chase adventure.
The Summer Reading Challenge is a great way to help get children hooked on reading and develop a life long love of books. It’s been proved to help prevent the trend for children’s reading skills to dip over the holidays by supporting their learning in a fun way. It’s free entertainment too, so what’s not to love?”
To find out more pop into the library and ask a member of staff or email the team on email@example.com