This year’s London Youth Para Tennis Games were scheduled to take place at the Westway Sports and Fitness Centre on Wednesday 21st June. However, due to the Grenfell Tower tragedy, the Westway Sports and Fitness Centre is being used as an emergency shelter and was therefore not able to host the event.
At short notice, the Better, Islington Tennis Centre and Gym was approached by the Tennis Foundation to see if the event could be accommodated. With the support of the centre team and goodwill of our local community, bookings were re-scheduled and sessions were adjusted in order to make sufficient court space available to host the event.
The event went ahead as planned with some amazing people participating and supporting for a successful day.
- 50 x kids in attendance
- 8 boroughs represented – Newham, Redbridge, Hillingdon, Croydon, Bromley, Enfield, Haringey, Hammersmith & Fulham
- All kids had mild learning disabilities from key stage 3, years 7-9.
- Newham won the overall event, Redbridge came second and Hillingdon third
- The event was supported by staff from the Tennis Foundation, Westway Sports and Fitness Centre, Islington Tennis Centre and Gym and volunteers from Barnet and Southgate College
- Social media update by Tennis Foundation