Work started at the Rivermead site on 31 August.
The existing leisure centre will remain open until the new centre is complete to ensure no gap in people’s leisure service.
By spring 2023, Reading can expect a modern new-build leisure centre at Rivermead, offering:
- 25m 8 lane competition pool, with moveable pool floor
- Splash pad for younger users
- A combined teaching and diving pool with a moveable floor
- 25m 5 lane club/swim lesson pool (demountable pool)
- A café, information hub, and soft play
- A 6-court sports hall with 250 spectator seats
- A 120-station gym with 3 studios
- A new outside play area
The work at this site will take place in 2 phases, with the construction of the new leisure centre and the external public spaces completed before the demolition of the existing facility in Phase 2, which will make way for the remaining external areas, new sections of car park and a new play area.
In Phase 1, the new leisure centre will be built on the eastern side of the main existing leisure centre car park. Initially this will involve the construction of a new access road to the rear of the leisure centre and a portion of the public space surrounding the outside of the new leisure centre.
Find out more about the latest developments in the project at Rivermead.
Keep up to date with all the latest project photos in our image gallery.