Better Swimming Lessons
Whether you’re looking to improve your child’s confidence in the water , swim safety awareness or want to help your child learn to swim, we have swimming classes that cater for all levels of ability and ages.
As the largest provider of swimming lessons in the UK, we help over 200,00 people a week learn to love the water and keep active, by becoming capable and confident swimmers in a leisure centre near them.
Find flexible swim lessons that put you and your families needs first; from morning classes and private lessons to outdoor swimming, we put our members at the heart of everything we do.
What do Better swimming lessons offer?
- All pupils are taught by experienced, qualified teachers, following our industry-leading programme in a fun and progressive environment
- Flexible, affordable and convenient swim lessons, with prices starting from as little as £3 per class (dependent on location)
- Ability to track your child’s progress with our online tool - Home Portal.
Free access to Swim For All, Swim For Family and Swim fitness sessions with swim lesson memberships for your children in your home facility. This does not include access to Swim For All, Swim For Family and Swim fitness sessions for those on Swim Doctor courses, SWIMBiES courses and in the London Borough of Waltham Forest.
Find Swimming Lessons Near Me
Learn to swim with the right lesson for you or your child
We offer a wide variety of swimming lessons for all ages and abilities. Find the right class to suit you or your child’s needs.
Holiday short courses
Why not keep the kids active this holiday while learning a new life skill with our Swim School Holiday Courses.
Suitable for all levels, your child will build their confidence in the water and have fun at a swimming pool near you. Lessons run daily from Monday to Friday*.
To find and book a Swim School holiday short course:
- Go to https://betterflow.courseprogress.co.uk
- Find and click on your preferred location to be taken to the available courses.
- Select 'Swim School Holiday courses' in the left-hand filter
*days and times will be confirmed as you select your bookingBook Swim School today
Teach your baby to learn to swim with Better swimming lessons. Our SWIMBiES classes are tailored to children ages 3 months to 3 years, providing a fun syllabus to help you and your child build water confidence that lasts a lifetime.
Our engaging children's swim classes take place across the UK for all ages and abilities, at affordable prices in your local leisure centre. Not only that, they help your child gain confidence and independence in the water whilst having fun.
Swim Doctor is Better’s adult swimming programme for all your swimming needs. Whether you want to learn to swim, improve your technique, fitness or train for an event, our Swim Doctors will help make the most of your time in the pool in a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. Group and 1 to 1 adult swim lessons are also available in certain locations.
Run for women, by women, our sessions are led by female swimming instructors and cater to girls and women of all abilities. With our ladies swimming sessions and classes, you can develop a healthy lifestyle while enjoying the social and mental benefits of swimming. All our women only sessions are led by our qualified, female Swim Doctors.
We want to encourage everyone to start to swimming at Better. Where possible, we will look to integrate children with disabilities into our existing group lessons or we can offer 1-to-1 or small group swimming lessons to support children and adults to learn to swim. We also work with our partner charity Level Water to provide lessons for primary school-aged children with a physical or sensory disability.
We understand that every person is different and has their own goals to achieve in the water. That’s why, at Better, we offer private 1-to-1 swimming lessons with a qualified swimming instructor at a leisure centre near you. Our expert instructors create and tailor bespoke swim plans to help you or your child hit their targets. 1-to-1 lessons are subject to availability.
Tracking your swim lesson progress
Whatever swim class your child is attending, once the sessions are underway you can track their progress using our online tool; Home Portal. Easy to set up, you'll be able to access information and updates on the go directly from your swimming instructor.
The benefits of tracking your swim lessons with our Home Portal include:
- Records of achievement
- Encouragement to keep the kids active
- Ability to book and pay online
- One account for multiple children
Master your swim skills with our experts instructors
All our teachers are professional, passionate and pupil-focused and will ensure you and your children are in safe hands in the water.
We want to give people of all ages quality swim lessons, which is why we invest not only in our pupils, but our teachers too. Our talented teachers have a wide range of prized skills and qualifications, and we help fund our trainee instructors to achieve the following qualifications and skills:
- STA award qualifications
- Appropriate swimming teaching qualifications
- In-depth knowledge of swim health and safety
- National Rescue Award for Swimming Teachers & Coaches
Swim lessons in high-class facilities
With over 130 indoor swimming pools, including the world-famous London Aquatics Centre, our local swim facilities make developing your skills and passion easier.
Selected pools are also equipped with springboards and diving boards to help you discover the benefits of diving. We offer diving lessons for all ages and abilities, including classes from the Tom Daley Diving Academy.
Better swimming facilities include:
Find Swimming Lessons Near Me
Better’s tips for staying safe while swimming
You might be wondering ‘why is it important to follow safety rules in swimming classes and lessons’, but they’re there to protect all of us when using the Better pool facilities.
Before taking the plunge, it’s important you have the swimming basics under your belt. Here's how you can help everyone swim in a safe and welcoming environment.
What to do:
- Wait to swim after you eat. Please avoid swimming within two hours of eating.
- Watch from a distance. Spectators can watch swimming lessons from the designated gallery/viewing area, not from the poolside.
- Please remember to shower before and after your swimming lesson.
- Please remeber to use the toilet facilities before your swimming lesson.
- Be mindful of your own swimming ability and those around you and listen to instructions. Please listen to our qualified lifeguards and follow their guidance to keep everyone safe. If you’re in a swim lesson, make sure you pay attention to your teacher so you don’t miss anything important.
- Swim when you’re feeling healthy. If you’re not sure you’re fit enough to swim, please consult your doctor. It’s very important to talk to your doctor before swimming if you have any health problems, and inform staff of any special requirements you may have. Swimming when you don’t feel healthy, including tummy troubles, can make problems worse.
Frequently asked questions
Swim lessons Information
How many lessons does it take to learn to swim?
Learning to swim happens at a different pace for everyone, so there isn’t a one size fits all. In order to really improve your swim skills, consistent lessons over a long period of time are a great way to see results.
What is the best age to start swim lessons?
The recommended age is around four years old. At this age, children have the muscle movements and coordination to learn and be successful at swimming. Yet, that doesn’t mean you can ever be too late to learn to swim. Our swimming classes cater to all ages and abilities, so whether it’s a Swimbies class with your little one or a adults only swim lesson, we’re ready when you are.
What measures are in place to ensure the Better swim facilities are safe to use?
We have put in place numerous measures to keep our swimming facilities safe. These include:
- Increased cleaning schedules – we clean our facilities on a more regular basis
- Pre-booked swim lessons - all our swimming classes have to be pre-booked to control class capacity and stagger lesson start times
You may also like
Whether you’re a novice looking for an adrenaline rush or an experienced diver looking to advance your technique, come to one of our diving pools.
Swimming is a great all-round exercise and is perfect if you want to be more active and stay healthy whatever your age or ability. With Better, you’ll have access to a local indoor and outdoor swimming pools near you.