WE ARE A CHARITABLE SOCIAL ENTERPRISE
GLL is a not for profit charitable social enterprise committed to delivering a better quality of fitness and leisure, libraries and performing arts facilities for everyone. We’re committed to providing access to quality community facilities - and more - at a price everyone can afford. We already manage over 258 facilities, and we’re adding more all the time operating under our 'Better' brand.
WHAT WE DO
We aim to get more people, more active, more often. We promote healthy and active lifestyles, giving communities access to facilities that help improve their health and happiness through participation in activities. It could be gyms, libraries, playgrounds or world-class venues such as those on the Olympic Park, we have it all right here.
However, we do provide more than access. As a charitable social enterprise, we invest in our communities as we are a not for profit organisation but it’s not just about money: we also invest time and effort in encouraging everyone to take advantage of our services.
We will ENGAGE and welcome new participants, introducing them to activities that reflect their needs.
We will SUPPORT our communities to make lifestyle changes through targeted programmes.
We will ADAPT our approach and offers to ensure everyone can participate in our services.
We will SUSTAIN participation by offering varied programmes, facilities and memberships.
WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?
We are a not for profit charitable social enterprise, which means we work for the benefit of everyone: the public, the communities we work in, the environment, our staff and our partners. As a result, we’re proud to be the first leisure operator in the UK to be awarded both the Social Enterprise Mark, and now Social Enterprise UK badge as well as the Prime Minister’s Big Society Award. But, there are more benefits...
- We don’t have shareholders like some private companies or any bonuses to pay out. Instead, we reinvest any financial surplus we make back into our services and facilities. So far, we’ve reinvested millions of pounds – well over £100m
- We act as a charity and are here for the benefit of the communities we operate in. We are passionate about making a real difference
- We believe social values are just as important, if not more important as financial performance
- We are owned by our staff and society members, who have a non-dividend-paying share. That means our workforce is empowered, motivated and involved in making important decisions that affect the company. In fact, the majority of our board are elected by our workforce
- Wherever possible, we work with other social enterprises and buy Fairtrade goods and services.
WHAT DOES THAT MEAN FOR YOU?
Whether you join us on a pre-paid membership, or use our facilities occasionally as a non member or library user, you can get fit, stay healthy, and know that you're helping make a difference in your community.
You can also rest assured that any surplus we make now and in the future goes back in to the service as you are buying in to an ethical company. Now, that's better.