Stay Active and Save with a Concessionary Membership
What is a concessionary membership?
At Better, we want to help everyone get active. That's why we offer off-peak concessionary gym and leisure centre memberships. This membership is offered at a lower price than our standard memberships and is designed for anyone in receipt of benefits in the UK.
If you are eligible for a concessionary membership, you’ll get access to Better gyms, swimming pools and fitness classes in your local area* at a discounted rate. As with all our memberships, you’ll also enjoy a range of benefits like free gym inductions and access to specialist trainers at the gym.
So, if you’re looking to get healthier for less, bring it to Better, where everyone is welcome.
* Membership not available in Manchester or Welwyn and Hatfield.Join now
Features and Benefits of a Better Concessionary Membership
Alongside off-peak* leisure, swim and gym discounts, a Better concessionary membership grants you:
- Inclusive access to gyms in your local area, offering cardio, resistance, functional, weight and stretch zones
- Inclusive access to our swimming pools in your local area
- Inclusive access to our full fitness class programme at your local centres
- 7-day priority advanced booking online or via the Better UK app
- Access to free WIFI in Better centres
- Option of rolling monthly Direct Debit payments with no contract for added flexibility
- Up to 50% off other activities and services
- Option of free personalised fitness induction when you visit our gyms
- Free access to an expert fitness instructor, who’ll create a personalised exercise programme based on your needs
- Access to a six-week programme of refocus sessions to keep you feeling motivated
What’s more, by signing up for a Better concessionary gym membership, you’ll be helping out your local community. We’re a not-for-profit organisation, meaning your membership fees are reinvested into the community – we’re not about trapping you into long contracts or hefty payments, just helping everyone stay active and healthy.
If you don't want to be restricted by off peak times, choose our Better Health Membership, a monthly membership which offers the freedom to use our facilities anytime, anywhere.
*Some exclusions and off peak restrictions apply. Facility access subject to availability, refer to home centre and individual location page for facility listings. Peak and off-peak time vary by location.
HEAR FROM OUR MEMBERS
Am I eligible?
Our discounted concessionary membership is available to anyone who receives any of the following benefits:
- Housing benefit
- Income Support
- Job Seekers’ Allowance
- Working Families Tax Credit
- Carers Allowance
- Universal Credit payment page, dated within 3 months with value greater than £0
- Residence permit card with refugee settlement within 1 year of issue date
- Application Registration card (ARC) Asylum Seekers within 1 year of issue date
- Freedom Bus Pass (Yellow)
- Disability Personal Independence (PIP) Payment
- National Disability card
- Disabled Persons Railcard
- Employment & Support Allowance
- Disability Living Allowance
- War Time Pension Holders
To apply for a concessionary membership, join online or visit your local centre to sign up. In either case, you’ll need to provide evidence of your eligibility. If you receive PIP, we accept a disabled ID card as proof of eligibility. All documentation must include the customer name and be in date (either valid for a year or be before the expiry date). See our terms and conditions for more details.Apply online today
Other Community Supported Memberships From Better
We offer 12-week programmes to individuals who want to gain the skills and confidence to improve their physical and mental wellbeing. Uncover our variety of referral schemes and which one will help you reach your goals.
Individuals who’ve been granted refugee status in the last 6 months can apply for a free 6-month Better Health Saver (Off-Peak) membership. Check your proof of eligibility and start your application online today.
If you are registered as disabled, you are eligible for our Inclusive UK membership which gives you inclusive access to all our facilities across the UK, at any time.
Frequently asked questions
I receive disability benefits – do you also have a disability membership?
If you are registered as disabled, you’ll also be eligible for our Inclusive UK membership. With this membership, you’ll receive inclusive access to all our facilities across the UK at any time. You’ll also be able to bring along your carer/personal assistant free of charge, making this membership ideal for those who require assistance.