The programme is for York residents or patients from a York GP surgery. It is designed to assist people who are currently inactive with medical conditions or other specialist requirements that prevent them from entering mainstream exercise.
Common reasons for referral:
- High blood pressure
- Circulatory / respiratory diseases
- Depression and anxiety
What Activities Are Available?
Healthwise provides members with a wide range of classes and exercise options to suit all abilities. A qualified GP Referral Instructor can help select suitable classes tailored to an individual’s medical conditions and needs. A physical activity programme may include some of the following:
- Gym based sessions- independent or supervised
- Group exercise options
- Water-based exercise
- Weight management classes
What Support Can the Better Health Team Provide?
The Better Health Team can:
- assess and monitor progress, providing suitable physical activity for your condition
- motivate and encourage you during your activity programme to achieve your goals
- advise you on how to exercise safely and with confidence
- provide assistance to exercise independently
- provide support and answer your questions.
What Memberships Are Available?
The Healthy Living Membership provides access to the Gym, Pool and classes for a monthly or annual fee, obtainable for previously sedentary individuals who have a medical condition(s).
You can choose from the following options: pay-as-you-go, monthly direct debit or upfront annual payments. Current prices are available on request.
If you are interested in Healthwise, please speak to your GP or Practice Nurse who will authorise your request.
Once they have provided you with a completed referral form, please e-mail the Program Co-ordinator to arrange your first appointment at a Better, York Leisure Centre.
Information for Health Professionals