HEALTHWISE PHYSICAL ACTIVITY REFERRAL SCHEME (PARS)
Healthwise introduces individuals to the benefits of physical activity in order to help reduce risk factors for chronic disease and manage existing medical conditions. The programme is designed to encourage people of all abilities to become and remain more physically active, helping to increase fitness levels and improve health and well-being.Healthwise provides a welcoming, affordable and accessible service to those attending our centres.
- London Borough of Barnet Resident or registered with a GP surgery in Barnet.
- Over 18 Years Old.
- Medical condition meets the inclusion criteria.
- Ready to make a change (Pre-contemplation, contemplation phase).
- Physically inactive (Less than 30 minutes per week & no gym membership within the last 6 months).
WHO IS HEALTHWISE FOR?
The scheme is for Barnet residents or patients registered with a Barnet GP/doctors surgery who are physically inactive. It is designed to assist people with medical conditions or other specialist requirements that may be a barrier to accessing mainstream activity in leisure centres.
Common reasons for referral:
- High blood pressure
- Circulatory/respiratory diseases
- Depression & anxiety
WHAT ACTIVITIES ARE AVAILABLE?
Healthwise offer a range of activities to suit all abilities. Your Healthwise facilitator will help you select suitable activities and classes.
Your physical activity programme may include some of the following
- Healthwise ‘Be Active’ sessions (supervised gym)
- Group exercise options
- Healthy Walks
- Water based exercise
HOW CAN THE HEALTHWISE TEAM SUPPORT?
- Assess and monitor your progress
- Motivate and encourage you during your activity programme
- Advise you on how to exercise safely and with confidence
- Answer your questions
WHAT MEMBERSHIP OPTIONS ARE AVAILABLE?
All successful referrals who meet the inclusion criteria for the Healthwise physical activity referral scheme will require a membership to access our leisure centres.
The Healthy Living membership is a subsidized membership that provides access to gym, swimming and classes at all 5 leisure centres in the borough of Barnet.
Our Leisure Centres
- Burnt Oak Leisure Centre (HA8 0NP)
- Copthall Leisure Centre (NW4 1PX)
- Hendon Leisure Centre (NW2 1XQ)
- Finchley Lido Leisure Centre (N12 0GL)
- New Barnet Leisure Centre (EN4 9BS)
You can choose from the following options: pay-as-you-go, monthly direct debit or upfront annual payments. Current prices are available on request.
HOW TO REGISTER?
If you are interested in Healthwise then please speak to your GP, practice nurse or social prescribing Link Worker, who must refer you. If your GP or nurse feel you may benefit from Healthwise they will need to complete a referral form and send it to our Healthwise team.
Once your referral has been received, the healthwise team will contact you to screen your referral further and if successful, you will be signposted to the appropriate intervention with a Healthwise facilitator.
If you have any further enquiries or questions
Alternatively you can call us on 0208 457 9910