Together we can make a real difference
Belonging to the Royal Voluntary Service community means inspiring volunteers to support the nation’s health and wellbeing. It means tackling the most pressing social issues in a workplace full of opportunities.
Our people are a welcoming team of individuals from every background who support one another to be their best. They are also some of the country’s most compassionate and dedicated people who step forward to help make society better connected and more inclusive – where everyone can thrive.
Royal Voluntary Service cafés, shops and trolleys in hospitals and other settings are part of the fabric of the NHS or local community and a real asset in their own right. Our customers love the fact that the money they spend with us pays for volunteer action in hospitals and the community.
Staffed by volunteers and employees, we provide an outstanding range of healthy food choices including hot and cold food, smoothies, coffees and treats.
We currently have an opportunity for a Retail & Café Manager to join our team on a full-time basis covering multiple locations including New Addington Leisure Centre, Crystal Palace National Sport Centre and two smaller, volunteer-led sites in the area (Crystal Palace/Lewisham).
What you’ll be doing
As a Retail & Café Manager, you will lead a passionate team of staff and volunteers who work hard to deliver outstanding customer service.
In this busy, multi-site manager role, you will be responsible for:
- Motivating and managing a team of volunteers to deliver exceptional customer service
- Managing performance, development and training, creating fair rotas and recruiting as necessary
- Managing finances including reporting on costs/profit and loss budgets and sales
- Overseeing stock ordering, deliveries and controls
- Developing and maintaining excellent working relationships with landlords, suppliers and other key local contacts
- Managing the stores to a high standard, ensuring compliance with all necessary checks
- Managing promotions and Royal Voluntary Service merchandise
- Creating a positive working environment and ensuring the sites are clean, attractive and welcoming
- Supporting and promoting a variety of fundraising activities
What you will need
To be considered as a Retail & Café Manager, you will need:
- Experience of working in a retail or customer-facing role at supervisory or management level
- Experience of using EPOS systems
- Knowledge and experience of general administrative processes
- Excellent customer service skills
- The ability to communicate with a variety of people in a friendly and professional manner
- Proven leadership and people management and/or motivational skills
- The ability to use standard IT Microsoft and internet systems to a basic level
- A ‘can-do’ attitude and confident in maximising sales opportunities
- Good literacy and numeracy skills
A full driving licence would be desirable.
Applicants should be aware that the post will only be offered to successful candidates subject to pre-employment checks. This may include a criminal records check.
Why work for Royal Voluntary Service
We’re proud to be in the top 25 not-for-profit organisations to work for in the UK, based on ratings from Indeed. As a valued employee at Royal Voluntary Service, you will benefit from the following:
- A salary of £22,219.40 per annum
- The chance to make a positive, lasting impact that changes lives, communities and society
- An employee benefits package that gives access to an exclusive rewards website, 24-hour doctor line, financial support with dental/optical and other therapies
- A free and confidential employee assistance programme with up to 6 face-to-face sessions built-in
- Opportunities to discuss flexible working
- Access to award winning e-learning and development
- Opportunities to develop new skills and progress your career
- A great pension scheme
- Enhanced Family Leave schemes
- 6 weeks company sick pay
- 25 days’ holiday plus paid statutory Bank Holidays
Join Royal Voluntary Service and together we can change lives, change communities and change society.
How to apply
To apply for the position of Retail & Café Manager, please visit:
The closing date for applications is the 24th November 2021.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy early should sufficient applications be received.
Here at Royal Voluntary Service, we're committed to equality, diversity and inclusion. We want to be a charity that's representative of the communities we serve, which is why we strive for diversity of age, gender identity, sexual orientation, physical or mental ability, ethnicity and perspective.
This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Other organisations may call this role Retail Manager, Retail Supervisor, Shop Manager, Store Manager, Café Manager, Catering Manager, Retail Team Leader, Shop Supervisor, or Store Supervisor.