What is Junior Gym?
Junior gym is a dedicated session for children aged between 11 and 15 to introduce them to working out in the gym and help them start their journey toward a healthy and active lifestyle. All sessions are supervised, with a member of the Fitness team present, to make sure you are working out safely and to be on-hand to assist if you are unfamiliar with any equipment.
Membership also includes access to our Junior Fitness Classes that take place on the gym floor, during the allocated sessions.
Keeping everyone fit, active and healthy is important to us so we want to ensure we offer a variety of fun activities to our youngsters; giving them the chance to do this with friends, old and new. We have a continuously expanding junior programme here at Gunnersbury Park Sports Hub. Sessions are included in the monthly membership or can be booked on a pay-as-you-go basis.
All juniors are required to book and attend a junior gym induction prior to attending the junior gym sessions.
Junior inductions are conducted by our level 2 qualified Fitness Instructors, in small groups of no more than 5 people and are 30 minutes in duration. During the inductions, our Instructors will go over all health & safety information about the gym, explain the gym etiquette, will give an introduction to the equipment that juniors are allowed to use during the sessions, and will also demonstrate how to use the equipment safely.
Due to high demand, there has been a recent change in how to book the sessions. Monday - Friday, there are now two bookable slots; 3.30pm – 4.30pm, and 4.45pm-5.45pm. Juniors wishing to attend both, will require a booking for each slot. Juniors are required to vacate the gym when the sessions finish and are not able to stay between sessions.
At weekends, juniors can book their gym sessions between 10am – 3pm and can book in any of the drip-feed 10 minute slots.
Juniors will have access to the majority of gym equipment including:
- Cardio machines (treadmills, cross-trainers, upright bikes, spin bikes, recumbent bikes, ARC Trainers, & rowing machines)
- Resistance machines* (chest press, chest fly, lateral row, cables pulley machines, leg press, hip adductor, hip abductor, lat pull down, shoulder press, leg extension, hamstring curl, & assisted chin-up)
- Functional Area* (TRX ropes, kettle bells, bosu balls, skipping ropes, steps, slam balls, battle rope, plyo boxes, small free weights)
Juniors are not able to access the free weights area. *Juniors are required to use the lightest weight plates when using the resistance machines, as well as under 10kg dumbbells in the functional area.
Junior Fitness Classes
Included with the Junior gym sessions are our range of fitness classes, tailored to junior participants. These will be short 20-30 minute fitness classes, led by our level 2 qualified Fitness Instructors, that will take place on the gym floor during the afternoon junior gym times.
Fitness classes will include:
- Core Conditioning - Get stronger and sculpt those abs! These sessions are designed to help you get fitter, stronger and leaner using a series of exercises using equipment and your own bodyweight.
- Boxfit - A class that really packs a punch. Boxfit uses a range of boxing techniques, including padwork, sparring and cardio elements to get your heart racing and leave you feeling fighting fit.
- HIIT - Better results, faster. Push yourself to the limit with 30 minutes of quick, intense bursts of exercise, followed by short recovery periods that will keep your heart rate up and help you reach your goals quicker.
- Group Cycle - Pedal your way fit. In our Group Cycle Studio, work at your own pace as you cycle along with the group in one of our themed classes to uplifting music, or focus on achieving your goals in one of our discipline-based classes.
To see what's on, and to book a junior fitness class
Junior Table Tennis
A brand new addition to our junior gym programme - we have now set up 2 table tennis tables in the first floor Park View Suite, during the 4pm-6pm junior gym time.
There will be four 30-minute bookable slots between 4pm-6pm with a maximum of 8 spaces bookable each time for two doubles matches.
Slots will be bookable via the Better UK app, or with our concierges at reception.
Other than being a great sport that is fun to play, some other benefits of playing table tennis include:
- Improves hand-eye coordination
- Improves reflexes
- Improves balance
- Stimulates various different parts of the brain