This is a follow up article on Islington's progress in the 2018 London Youth Games’ Jubilee Trophy.
This is the 41st season of this historic annual competition which spans 9 months and encompasses the collective points from 28 events per borough.
Out of the 33 boroughs participating, Islington are currently 14th. The current table is based on 7 events, but with 4th placed male para-football (41 points) and 5th (39 points) placed male basketball to be added we are expected to rise rather than fall in the next league table update.
The highlight of the season so far was the Kayak Slalom team from Islington Boat Club who dominated the LYG Regatta and were a bit unfortunate to not win team gold. They walked away proud of their achievements and with silver medals. Individually, there was one gold medal from Dylan Gregory and a silver medal from Oliver Price. However, from the initial time trials after two runs we were leading in 2 out of 4 categories and competitive in all with a mater of seconds being the only difference between London’s best.
One of our targets is to surpass 800 points and from 10 events we are on 293 points with an average of 29.30 per event. We require a minimum average of 28.57 so we are on track going into the busiest period of competitions as we build up to Finals Weekend on the 8th/9th July at the Crystal Palace National Sport Centre. Can you, your children, or someone you know help us!?
There are opportunities to be selected through our free training/trials in a range of sports for Islington residents or school attendees:
- LYG Female Handball (year 9-11): Tuesday Highbury Fields Netball Courts 4pm-5pm with coach Gaelle from Islington Handball Club. Sessions on 5th and 12th June. High chance of selection!
- LYG Badminton (year 6-11): Tuesday 5th June 5.30pm-6.30pm and Saturday 2nd June 10am-11am at Sobell Leisure Centre with coach Tariq from Sobell Badminton Club.
- LYG Netball Training (year 8-9): Every Thursday 4pm-5pm at Highbury Grove School until July 5th. If you are already in a junior netball club but cannot make that session email Daniel.Bank@GLL.ORG
- LYG Athletics (year 7-8): Throughout June on Thursday 5.30pm-7pm at Finsbury Park athletics track (invite only). If you attend a school outside of the borough and feel you should be invited please contact Daniel.Bank@GLL.ORG with evidence of your performance or details of a coach to contact.
- Community Athletics (year 7-12): Sunday 10am-12pm Finsbury Park- meet coach Joanne by the athletic track. Last session July 1st.
- For year 7-11 table tennis (female), Year 8-9 hockey (male and female), Weightlifting Year 10-13 (male and female), Archery Year 7-11, Indoor Rowing Year7-11 and Aquathlon (swimming and running) information please contact Daniel.Bank@GLL.ORG.
If you are wondering where the opportunities are for primary school ages, they are mainly included in the School Games schedule organised by the council.