There is a local Swimming Teacher course running at Kensington Leisure Centre 6th - 10th April 2020.
The STA AWARD qualification is an entry level course that looks at the fundamentals of swim teaching focusing on being able to deliver to Stages 1-4 (Non-Swimmers, Beginner & Improvers). Individuals will learn how to teach Front Crawl, Backstroke, Breaststroke, and Fly leg kick as well as the Essential Swimming Skills. Individuals will be able to deliver to groups of up to 8 pupils for Stages 1-4.
Course Content & Structure
– Safeguarding Children, Young People and Vulnerable Adults
– Planning , Delivering , Assessing and Evaluating Swimming Lessons
– Understand a Swimming Teacher’s Role
– Understanding the Health and Safety Requirements for an Aquatics Environment
– Understanding the Scientific and Learning Theories Relevant to Swimming Teaching
The STA Award in Teaching Swimming is tutor assessed through the completion of worksheets, wchemes of work, lesson plans, lesson evaluation forms, and practical teaching. In addition to this, there is an external assessment of a 30-minute practical lesson on the final day of the course.