Take a look at how we are joining in with I am Team GB's Festival of Sport in Cardiff, and join in with our fantastic free events across the city.
What you need to know: Your local leisure centre taster sessions
Eastern Leisure Centre
Swimming lesson taster session, Saturday 14th August
At Eastern we will be delivering free swimming lesson taster sessions. There will also be a special guest appearance as we welcome Olympic Gold Medallist and Team GB hero, Matt Richards.
- Academy Fitness Session, 8-16years, 12:30-13:00
- Adult Fit Swim Session, 16years+, 12:30-13:00
Fairwater Leisure Centre - Gymnastics taster session with Welsh Gymnastics Saturday 14th August
Gymnastics taster session, Saturday 14th August
At Fairwater we will be delivering free gymnastics lesson taster sessions. In partnership with Welsh Gymnastics and a special guest appearance from double Commonwealth medallist , Laura Halford.
- 2pm-3pm – 5yrs-8yrs
- 3pm-4pm – 5yrs-8yrs
Western Leisure Centre
Swimbies taster session, Saturday 14th August
At Western we will be delivering free swimming lesson taster sessions. There will also be a special guest appearance as we welcome Olympic Silver Medallist and Team GB hero, Lauren Williams.
We also welcome Nicola Turecek, former world champion, with her own Taekwondo club ‘Nicola Turecek TAGB taekwondo’ for a special display.
- Dippers – 3-12months - 12:00-12:30
- Splashers – 12months-2years – 12:30-13:00
- Paddlers – 2-3years 13:30-14:00
- Pre-school 3-5years 14:00-14:30
Maindy Leisure Centre - From Home 2 The Games, Saturday 14th August in partnership with Good Gym, 12:00-13:00
For athletes between the ages of 11-23 (Olympic) and 15-35 (Paralympic)
The campaign is a search for Olympic and Paralympic talent of the future, completing a registration form on the campaign website and completing three simple tests and submitting their results and videos onto an online platform.
- 20m sprint (or push for athletes in a wheelchair)
- Horizontal (Broad) jump (For Olympic athletes only)
- A pick-up and Throw test (For Paralympic Athletes only)
- An open skill test (these can be done at eth event or athlete may choose to complete this test at home)
For more information please visit https://www.fromhome2thegames.com/
Maindy Leisure Centre
Swimming Lessons & Academy Master Class, Sunday 15th August
At Maindy we will be delivering free swimming lesson taster sessions. There will also be a special guest appearance as Graham Wardell , Swim Wales National elite coach delivering a stroke analysis session as part of the Academy master class.
- 12:30-13:00 – Foundation learn to swim class (ages 4+)
- 12:30-13:00 – Development learn to swim class (ages 6+)
- 13:00-13:30 – Foundation learn to swim class (ages 4+)
- 13:00-13:30 Development learn to swim class (ages 6+)
- 13:30-14:45 – Academy master class with Welsh Swimming & Graham Wardell(ages 8+)
Festival of Cycling on the Cycle Velodrome in partnership with Welsh Cycling, Sunday 15th August, 13:30-15:30
All ages and abilities are welcome to come along and have cycling coaching and activities.
There will also be a special guest appearance from Ed Clancy, MBE, OBE and 3x Olympic Goal medallists.
Here you will learn about what’s on offer for cycling in the city and how you can get involved. There will be cycling coaching and cycling activities for all ages and abilities to get involved in. Please bring your own bike and helmet when attending.
Maindy Leisure Centre - BMX session with Cardiff BMX, Sunday 15th August, 13:30-15:30
Ages: 6 - 16 will be able to take part and get involved.
Here you will learn how to correctly ride a BMX while performing some basic techniques and moves, including how to navigate a track successfully and safely. Participants must bring their own helmet, BMX bike and safety gear.
Yoga and Meditation taster sessions, Sunday 15th August, 09-12:00
- 09:00-10:30 session 1
- 10:30-12:00 session 2
Zumba, Group Cycling & Aqua aerobics taster sessions, Sunday 15th August, 12:45 – 15:45
- 12:45-13:45 Zumba
- 13:45-14:45 Group Cycling
- 15:00-16:00 Aqua Aerobics