Our Cardiff centres were extremely proud to have teamed up with ‘I AM TEAM GB’ for the Festival of Sport that took place on Saturday 14th and Sunday the 15th August. Customers and the local community all showed up to give our Team GB heroes past and present a welcome home, with many activities scheduled throughout the day inspired by our athletes performances at the Tokyo 2020 Olympics.
Special Guest appearances included:
- Matt Richards – Tokyo 2020 Olympic Gold Medallist, 4x200m swimming freestyle relay
- Lauren Williams – Tokyo 2020 Olympic Silver Medallist, Taekwondo, 67kg
- Ed Clancy – MBE, OBE, 24 total medals including 3x Olympic Gold Medallist (Beijing, London & Rio), 6x World Champion and 5x European Gold Medallist
- Laura Halford – British Rhythmic Gymnast, 4 total medals including 2x Commonwealth Silver Medallist (Glasgow & Gold coast)
- Graham Wardell – Experienced Coach with City of Cardiff and Swim Wales. He has coached many national and international swimmers, including placing swimmers at European Championships, Commonwealth Championships, World Championships and Olympic Games
- Nicola Turecek – a former World Champion who now successfully runs her own Taekwondo club ‘Nicola Turecek TAGB taekwondo’ at our Eastern Leisure Centre.
Events from the day included Swimming Lessons, Gymnastic taster sessions, Yoga and Meditation, A Festival Of Cycling and Olympic Talent Testing.