Better, the charitable social enterprise that operates leisure facilities across the Royal Borough of Greenwich on behalf of Royal Greenwich, has confirmed its plans for the re-opening of its indoor leisure centres from 12th April 2021.
Facilities including gyms, pools and activity spaces will re-open at Waterfront Leisure Centre, Eltham Centre, Greenwich Centre, Plumstead Centre, Thamesmere Leisure Centre, Coldharbour Leisure Centre, Sutcliffe Park Sports Centre and Charlton Lido & Lifestyle Club. Junior lessons will also resume, including swimming, gymnastics and performing arts. The relaunch will compliment the outdoor offer launched on 29th March, which includes outdoor swimming, athletics, football, fitness classes and adventure play. More information about available locations and activities can be found below:
Anyone wishing to use the facilities will need to pre-book a time slot via the Better app or website. Equipment within gym areas will again be reduced to ensure that 2-metres social distancing between users is maintained, while fitness classes will take place outdoor at select centres. Staff will again operate an enhanced cleaning regime, while customers will be asked to wipe down the equipment that they have used. Hand sanitiser will be available throughout leisure centre buildings. Customers will also be given the option to continue to freeze their memberships.Better have worked closely with the council to develop an exciting range of offers for residents, including:
- Free access to the Better at Home digital membership including thousands of on-demand classes, plus daily streamed classes with local instructors from right here in the borough
- Membership discounts for existing concessionary members*
- £20 discount voucher and no joining fee offer for new customers*
- Free fitness taster classes for all residents
- Free junior gym sessions for all young people with a paying adult
- 1,000 free family swim vouchers for families entitled to free school meals
- Hundreds of free family sports packs for those entitled to free school meals
- Give It A Go scheme offering enhanced support and discounted prices for those new to exercise or getting back into it after some time away
- Hundreds of free spaces on sport and activity sessions in parks, community centres and estates
Richard Gallagher, Partnership Manager for Better in Greenwich, said: “After over three months of lockdown, we’re delighted to finally be able to re-open our indoor leisure centres. Our key priorities as always are to ensure customer and staff safety and to again build customer confidence; we will be implementing the tried and tested COVID-Secure operating practices that worked successfully during 2020. We are looking forward to welcoming back our customers and anyone who wants to improve their physical and mental health through exercise and activity.
“To that end we’re very excited about the range of offers available for residents, which have been designed to encourage people back into exercise again after so long in lockdown. We do however recognise that some people may still be worried about returning to their local leisure facilities at this point. We will therefore continue to offer free access to online fitness and exercises classes via our Better UK app.”
Councillor Adel Khaireh, Cabinet Member for Culture, Communities and Equalities, said: “We’ve all waited such a long time to be able to resume sport and leisure activities that give us so much enjoyment. Better staff will be delighted to see people back - make sure you take advantage of the Better app to get your bookings in now!”
*Excludes Charlton Lido and Lifestyle Club