Social Isolation is defined as a state of complete or near-complete lack of contact between an individual and society. It differs from loneliness, which reflects temporary and involuntary lack of contact with other humans in the world. The definition is pretty grim when you think of it.
Social Isolation can cause serious and damaging problems to a person such as Mental Health g issues like Depression, Dementia, Social Anxiety and Low self esteem. We as humans are social animals who need contact with the outside world and other humans to thrive and survive and protect one another. 21% of older people are affected by financial abuse in Belfast (actual or attempted theft, fraud or burglary)
In Belfast, One in Five older people do not have any close friends, this is higher for men (22% compared to 16% for women) and for those in the oldest age group. One of the key strategic themes that have been born out of the Age Friendly 2018-2021 is Social Inclusion:
- Older people are better informed and supported to engage in social, cultural and civic life
- Older people are more connected and less isolated
- Older people feel more respected
- Improved community safety
- Every Friday morning we put on a Free Bowls morning from 10am-12:30pm with tea and coffee, that anyone can come along to.
- In Girdwood our reception is great space which can lend itself to a multitude of activities.