- Choose a gym that cares about you - helps you feel valued.
If you’re reading this, chances are you are either already a Better member, know someone who is or you’re thinking of joining us. We are a social enterprise that cares about our local community and reinvesting every penny we make into that community.
- Get a proper gym induction - know what you are doing.
If you’re not familiar with gyms, or you just want a refresher, then you can book an induction or refocus session with one of our friendly Fitness Instructors. They’ll talk to you about your goals and work with you to build a fitness programme that’ll help you achieve them.
- Don't go the gym alone - take a friend.
Keep an eye out on our ‘bring a friend’ or ‘referral’ promotions. By going with a friend you can help motivate each other and it can help your workout become fun.
- Appropriate training program - matched to your fitness.
On signing up you will be encouraged to get a tailored programme for your needs or if you are an existing member can get a ‘refocus’ session with a Fitness Instructor. We also have Boditrax technology which shows in-depth body composition data in an easy-to-understand format, which can help you track your progress.
- Get a personal trainer - get the max from your workouts.
We have a partnership with nationwide personal training company YourPT, so you’ll be able to find a PT in any of our gyms. Even by using them just for a few sessions they should can help give you the confidence and knowledge you need to achieve your goals independently.
- Start out steady in the gym - trying to match others can knock your confidence.
It is better to achieve smaller goals than not quite achieve something ambitious. You can improve more gradually which will help your confidence. Your fitness programme and goals are personal to you, so make sure you’re achieving what you want to achieve; not what others are.
7. Use a diary to plan your trainning week - Ensure we have adequate rest days as our body needs this time to repair.
This is also useful for mapping your progress.
- Ask for gym advice - Fitness Instructors are there to help and advise.
Please do ask if you have any questions and our Fitness Instructors will be happy to help, or point you in the direction of a member of staff who can.
- Take a fitness class - group work.
Embrace group spirit to push yourself and try new activities. Most of our gym memberships include access to our broad range of fitness classes so be sure to check out the timetable or speak to a member of our team to see what classes might work for you.
- Become a regular - Consistency means improved fitness and confidence.
We love seeing our members’ progress, so become a familiar face and make sure you keep to a regular fitness schedule. This will help your confidence in the gym, as well as make sure you’re on track to achieving your goals.