Our leisure pool at Ballysillan Leisure Centre is available for casual and recreational swimming, adult and child swimming lessons, aqua splash and water workouts.
We offer a swim membership for those who want to use the pool regularly as well as regular casual swim sessions for any pay as you go customers.
Our swim school programme also caters for all ages and abilities to help improve swimming technique.
If you are a keen swimmer, we offer dedicated lane swimming sessions throughout our calendar to help increase your fitness routine and help improve your technique.
VIEW OUR TIMETABLE
ADULT AND CHILD SWIMMING LESSONS
Prepare the tiny tots with water confidence at an early age with our adult and child learn to swim lessons.
Our adult and child sessions focus on promoting early water confidence in a fun and friendly environment taught by experienced instructors.
The sessions are available for children up to 3 years old and an adult (parent or guardian) must accompany the child in the water.
Teaching a child to swim at an early age can provide many benefits including:
- Growing their confidence in the water
- Improve their basic motor skills
- A fun way to keep active and healthy
- Peace of mind knowing they have an invaluable life skills
BETTER SWIM SCHOOL
We currently have almost 3500 children in the Better Belfast Swim School citywide. Ensure your child is one of these. Swimming not only gets kids active but it’s a life skill, as well as a life saving skill.
At Shankill we teach children from 3 years old to swim. Our stage 1-8 programme teaches kids fundamentals, water confidence, the four main strokes and is fun.
Continuous and ongoing assessments mean that as your child progresses they can move up through the stages at anytime, unlike most swim schools that confine pupils to a term/block. You can also track their progress through the home portal.
Once registered, you'll be able to log in to access information and updates directly from your swimming instructor.
Better is also affiliated with the best clubs in Belfast should you want your child to progress to club level and swim competitively.
Available for as little as £4.77 per lesson with zero joining fee and no contract.
Get The Most From Your Fitness Swim
Endorsed by Keri-anne Payne
Olympic Silver medallist & Better Fitness Swimming Ambassador
- Pre Cleanse Please help us to keep your pool clean by following our Swim Hygiene guidelines by showering and using the toilet facilities before you swim.
- Respect People of different standards and abilities will use the pool. Please respect thier right to enjoy their swim.
- Speed Choose your lane using the fast, medium and slow signs and by watching those already swimming . Before pushing off at each turn, check to see if anyone faster is approaching.
- Direction Please follow the directional signs and move across to the appropriate side of the lane for each length.
- Space Try and leave at least 5 metres between yourself and another swimmer and if it's possible to see a pace clock, then a 5 second gap is just as good.
- Strokes Wide strokes such as butterfly and breaststroke should be avoided when the lanes become busy. If you change to a slower stroke as part of your session, think about moving lanes.
- Equipment Fitness swimming training equipment, such as fins and hand paddles, is permitted at the discretion of the lifeguard and based on capacity. Snorkels can be used in conjunction with conventional swimming googgles.
- Resting Whether stopping for a rest or catching your breath after completing your swim, please be mindful that others using the lane will want to keep on swimming without stopping; so keep yourself to the edge of the lane allowing others to turn at the wall. Stay hydrated by using the water fountain or bringing your own water bottle on to poolside during your swim.
- Share Celebrate your achievements and share your swimming stories with us using #betterswimming, we'd love to hear them!