International Men’s Day is a global day dedicated to celebrating and highlighting the positive contributions and diverse experiences of men. This day is a time to shed light on the issues affecting men’s health, physically and mentally. With this year's theme, #ZeroMaleSuicide, the focus is on prioritising mental health, reducing male suicide rates, and joining a global effort to eliminate male suicide.
The three core themes for International Men’s Day in the UK which are used every year to help maximise participation are:
- Making a positive difference to the wellbeing and lives of men and boys
- Raising awareness and/or funds for charities supporting men and boys’ wellbeing
- Promoting a positive conversation about men, manhood and masculinity
These core themes help to address some of the issues that affect men and boys such as:
- The high male suicide rate
- The challenges faced by boys and men at all stages of education and work including attainment, re-training, stress, redundancy and unemployment
- Men’s health (including male cancers), shorter life expectancy, body image and workplace deaths – plus the health impact of Covid-19
- The challenges faced by the most marginalised men and boys in society – for instance, homeless men, boys in care, school excluded boys and the high rate of male deaths in custody
- Male victims of violence and crime – for instance, bullying, sexual violence, gang violence, and, those coerced into county lines and other criminal activity
- The challenges faced by men as parents, particularly new fathers and separated fathers
- Male victims and survivors of sexual abuse, rape, sexual exploitation, domestic abuse, forced marriage, honour-based crime, stalking. online image-abuse, sextortion and modern slavery
- The negative portrayal of men, boys and fatherS
To support this year’s theme, we filmed Football in Mind, a community group in Eynsham and spoke to the members about how being part of a team has impacted their physical, social and mental well-being.
This content will be shared across our digital platforms.