Find a Tai Chi Class Near Me
Best for: Wellbeing, mobility and total body conditioning
Take a deep breath and connect with your body with our range of Tai Chi classes.
Tai Chi, is an ancient Chinese practice that combines gentle movements with mindfulness and breathing exercises, providing you with a workout that targets both your mind and body.
Whether you want to de-stress after a hard day or achieve balance through movement, this martial art fitness class will help you enhance your mobility and strength as well as improve your overall wellbeing.
Based on deep breathing and slow movements, our Tai Chi lessons are low-impact and perfect for all ability and fitness levels. There are also many benefits of Tai Chi for both older and younger adults, ranging from increased mobility to an improved mental state, making it a great exercise option for everyone.
Discover local Tai Chi classes at a Better leisure centre near you.
Our Tai Chi Classes
Tai Chi is a great practice that can be enjoyed by everyone, regardless of age or mobility. That’s why we offer different types of Tai Chi classes for all ability and fitness levels.
Level: All abilities | Duration: 60 mins
Learn Tai Chi with a trained instructor who will guide you through the movements and help you build up confidence. This all-abilities class will involve a combination of gentle movements and breathing exercises to give you a full mind and body workout that will have you feeling better inside and out.
Tai Chi basics
Level: Beginners | Duration: 60 mins
With simpler movements and lower intensity variations, our Tai Chi Basics classes are great for those just starting their fitness journey. This Tai Chi class for beginners and seniors involves taking things at a slower pace so you can learn the fundamentals of this ancient practice and build your confidence. You’ll see improvements every week and begin to enjoy the benefits of Tai Chi.
What are the benefits of Tai Chi classes?
Alongside leaving you feeling strong and physically fit, there are many mental health benefits of Tai Chi such as a feeling of calm and time to relax. Other benefits of our Tai Chi classes include:
- A low impact workout for everyone - Tai Chi focuses on a series of slow movements that both strengthen your body without breaking a sweat. People of any age or physical condition can experience and enjoy the mental and physical benefits of Tai Chi exercises.
- Improves your balance - when practicing Tai Chi, you get used to slowing down and moving through a range of positions with precision and control. This will help improve your balance overall.
- Build strength - you'll be surprised by how strong you become from practicing Tai Chi! This non-contact class really works the muscles in your upper and lower body, helping you gradually increase your strength.
- Better posture - as part of the practice, you’ll focus on breathing through individual moves. This makes you more aware of your body and can aid with posture and alignment over time.
- Relaxation time – Tai Chi also has benefits for stress and anxiety, giving you time in your day to properly relax. Improve your breathing technique and chill out as you move slowly through the practice.
Tai Chi FAQs
What to Wear to a Tai Chi Class?
Make the most out of this meditative activity in appropriate sports clothing.
Wear trainers and bring a refillable water bottle that you can top up for free around your local Better centre.
What’s the difference between Tai Chi and Yoga?
While similar to Yoga, Tai Chi is all about movement. In Tai Chi lessons, the focus is on continuously moving and making the transitions between movements slow and smooth.
Both activities involve paying attention to your breathing and meditation so either one is a good option if you’re looking to get in the zone.
Is Tai Chi good exercise?
Despite the slow pace, Tai Chi provides a full body workout that targets lots of muscle groups. The fluid movements require lots of focus and control, which helps build muscle strength, improve your balance and tone your body. For this reason, many people practice Tai Chi for fitness as well as its mental health benefits.